It’s been called the greatestrivalry in all of sports.
Two of the most legendaryteams in college football, Ohio State and Michigan, known simply as, The Game.
(intense music) Welcome to College GameDay, I’m Dandy Dip, with me as always is Chuck Puber.
Chuck, what can we expectto see this afternoon? – Dandy, I’ll be honestwith you, I clicked a link last night, and ended upspending about five hours reading articles on how badfootball is for the body.
I tried to get out of doing the show today based on my moral revulsion, but the producers said I had to come in.
– Well we see all that, but what can we expect to see from the game? That’s what our viewers want to know.
– Brutality Dandy, what else? These boys, so, soyoung, don’t yet realize the terrible toll this gamewill take on their minds, their bodies, and their futures.
– Well, that’s a bit of anoverstatement there Chuck– – Is it? – We all– – I don’t think so.
– We all acknowledge thatcollege football is a rough sport, but it’s onewith a proud history– – Says you.
– Yeah sure, Ohio Stateand Michigan have played each other for over 100 years.
– We’ve been doing allsorts of horrible things for more than 100 years.
American history is alabyrinth of nightmares– – Not a fair parallel– – I wanna show you a piece of footage.
This is a clip from themovie “Concussion”– – Chuck we certainly don’t have the rights to show that at all– – I don’t care! Movie blows this whole thing wide open, did people just not see this? Will Smith was in it! – Hey, let’s move on, thank you very much Chuck.
For a look at the startingmatch ups, here’s Mike Bike.
Mike, will the Wolverines be able to overcome Dwayne Haskins’passing game, what do you think? – Dandy, Chuck emailedme an article about brain injuries of dead football players, and .
– Sure did.
– I can’t seem to thinkabout anything else.
– We don’t need to, Mike– – Take a look at this.
When a football playermakes a headfirst hit, his brain, suspendedin fluid, keeps moving until it makes impact with the skull.
Football turns a boy’sown bones, into weapons.
– If we just get back– – Mike I got a questionfor you, can you believe how young these boys are? – I know Chuck.
– They look like men, butthey’re really just boys.
– These athletes chose toplay football, this is a game! They enjoy playing this game, no one forced them into it.
– I believe it was AnatoleFrance who once said that, “The law and it’smajestic equality forbids “the rich and poor alikefrom sleeping under “bridges, stealing loavesof bread and begging in “the streets, ” his pointthere being that choice is part of a social construct.
Social pressure can be subtle, but it is in fact, impossibly strong.
– God that must have beenone hell of a Wikipedia hole you went down so– – I’m awake and I’m notgoing back to sleep.
– And is the choice between abject poverty and bodily harm, really any choice at all? – Okay, you know, look at thecoaching strategy for today, let’s go down to thefield, talk to Gina Jeans, Gina, how do things look in the shoe? – Dandy, this is a beautiful stadium, and was recently renovatedto fit 105, 000 fans.
– God, what a beaut, right? – Think of all the waysa school, a school! Could’ve used that money.
– Gina, did Chuck email you?- Chuck email me? Yes he did.
– Well, we wanna go backto talking to the coaches– – Absolutely! Ohio State’s coach Urban Meyer is paid over 6 million dollars a year! His opponent today, JimHarbaugh, is paid nine million.
Picture that the nexttime you see students who can’t afford textbooks.
Also, Urban knew, he knew the whole time.
– Folks, I’m just gonna go ahead and say we need to get this back on track.
We’re here to talk about the game.
– Gina, in Matthew 19:24, we are told by Christ that it is easier fora camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.
Given that, do you think these two coaches are gonna get sucked straightinto Hell when they die? Or is it more likely, given all the injustice in the world, that there is no God? – We could talk about thissome other time Chuck– – Better question, howare they handling the fact that those boys are gettingpaid what, exactly, Gina? – They don’t see a penny, Chuck.
– They make nothing, insanity! – We’ll talk about this ona very special episode– – The owning class in this country, only profits at the expenseof the working class.
– Look, everyone, this is a fun, this is a fun rivalry, right? College football .
Okay, yes Chuck, collegefootball isn’t perfect, right? But it’s a good 100%all-American tradition.
– Absolutely, Dandy.
Wealthy people profitingoff the physical misery of mostly minorities, what could be more all-American than that? – Why do you have such a problem staring into the demons thathave plagued this country– – I like it, okay? I like football! It’s mine, and I likeit, and I’m not about to just give it up because .
What, what did you, didyou write CTE on my face? What is that? – You bet I did, Dandy.
It’s the brain disease that almost every dead football player has.
It literally drives them insane.
– No, you know what, I think it’s time, we, we’re gonna go to commercial here.
So, we’ll be right back with an evening preview of Penn State.
– Penn State, oh, talk about boys–.